In this course we use PostgreSQL 11 and modern SQL (Common Table Expressions, Window Functions, etc). You'll learn modern notation and follow best practices.
Over 150 interesting and challenging real-world exercises (with solutions) to test your understanding and ability to use SQL. Get practice applying every concept you learn.
You don't need any prior knowledge or experience to do this course. And if you've got some prior experience with SQL and are looking to go deeper, this course can help you too.
I'll be keeping this course up-to-date, updating the content and exercises as new versions of PostgreSQL are released. No out of date code here! Read the update notes here.
All the examples and exercises are drawn from a sample database for a fictitious movie rental company. You'll learn to write queries to answer real world questions about sales, staff, films, and customers.
All videos are available in HD and delivered with clear audio, free of cracks, pops, squeaks, and babies crying!
Come across a problem you don't currently have the tools to solve
Learn a new technique to attack the problem
Apply the technique to a straightforward problem
Apply the technique in a novel way, combining with earlier learned techniques
1. Course introduction (3:34)
2. Databases and SQL (10:46)
3. Tables and the relational model (12:19)
4. Installing PostgreSQL and DBeaver (Windows) (4:29)
5. Installing PostgreSQL and DBeaver (Mac) (4:46)
6. Creating your first database and table (19:30)
7. Several nice tweaks for DBeaver (4:13)
8. Setting up the sample database (6:05)
9. SELECT FROM (8:18)
10. Derived Columns (11:26)
11. Filtering with WHERE (10:29)
12. AND, OR, and NOT (5:09)
13. NULL handling (5:28)
14. IN, BETWEEN, and LIKE (7:13)
15. ORDER BY (8:39)
16. SQL Order of execution (5:25)
17. LIMIT and OFFSET (5:08)
18. DISTINCT (4:34)
19. CASE expressions (7:31)
20. Common aggregate functions (4:19)
21. GROUP BY and HAVING (11:45)
22. CASE expressions and aggregations (10:46)
23. Introduction to data types (14:03)
24. Character data types (11:51)
25. Number data types (19:09)
26. Date and time data types (19:39)
27. Introduction to joins (2:57)
28. Cross joins (8:40)
29. Inner joins (12:26)
30. Outer joins (16:33)
31. Advanced join topics (8:53)
32. Uncorrelated subqueries (11:00)
33. Correlated subqueries (13:12)
34. Table subqueries (11:43)
35. Lateral subqueries (4:40)
36. Common table expressions (8:14)
37. Ranking window functions (8:56)
38. Aggregate window functions (12:39)
39. LAG and LEAD (8:07)
40. A little bit of set theory (3:10)
41. UNION (7:40)
42. INTERSECT (4:20)
43. EXCEPT (7:01)
44. Creating tables (14:41)
45. Primary keys (17:48)
46. Foreign keys (11:05)
47. CHECK, UNIQUE, and NOT NULL constraints (10:47)
48. Importing and exporting data (10:28)
49. Using transactions and inserting data (9:10)
50. Updating data (8:58)
51. Deleting data (4:28)
52. Views (7:48)
53. Materialized views (5:44)
54. Functions (2:27)
55. Writing functions with SQL (8:24)
56. Writing functions with PL/pgSQL (10:15)
Ready to go hands-on with modern SQL? Take advantage of this special launch-only discount.
Over 50 HD videos and 8+ hrs video
150+ real-world like exercises and solutions
Free lifetime updates
Yep! Email me at email@example.com with your details and some proof (student ID, etc.) and I'll organize a special discount for you.
Yep! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll organize a team discount and can also offer bulk course enrollment and account setup.
Yes! Upon completion of the course you'll get a shiny certificate you can show to your employer and pin on your online profile for all to see.
Not yet, but if this is something you're interested in for your company get in touch with me at email@example.com